Bipolar By Chance - The Bipolar Connection Welcome

Is life random, or is there a design that colors the background. When it comes to mental illness, the family you spring from plays a part. Yet, whether an illness like bipolar disorder will present itself is a question of chance. Yes, there is a genetic predisposition. Yes, there is a biochemical imbalance. And yes, there is a stressor which can trigger it. But, as a human being, there is no logic to it. What are the odds bipolar disorder will choose you? There are no odds. It feels random. Whether depressed or manic, its happening to you or a family member is an event that has no plan. It’s as if you’re been struck by lightening. What are the odds of that? And so, I have called this blog, BIPOLAR BY CHANCE – THE BIPOLAR CONNECTION.

My name is Donald Kern, and I am a licensed psychotherapist in Woodland Hills, California. I also have bipolar disorder. My diagnosis goes back 35 years. I have had the good fortune to have been without a manic episode for the last 24 of those years and owe that to the medication I have taken during that time—and much more. I have been persistent about getting better largely because I want to avoid the anxiety I felt for much of that time. Pain, particularly psychic pain, is quite a motivator to seek change. And, because I have loving, caring family and friends, I have been able to carve out a life for myself.

In the coming weeks, I will be writing about my experience with bipolar disorder as both a patient and a mental health professional treating it, as well as an individual thinking and feeling about it. For anyone logging onto this blog, WELCOME!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the issues.
It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
Thanks for sharing!
Also see my web site: bipolar warning signs

Post a Comment